- 3/4 cup (90 grams) white spelt or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) ground millet or cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup (66 grams) cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) water
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 batch (about 1 cup) Snack Cake Crème
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a canoe-style snack cake pan. If you don't have a snack cake pan, you can use 4-ounce loaf pans. Alternatively, create your own molds out of foil by shaping double thicknesses of aluminum foil around a spice bottle and setting the individual foil pieces next to each other in a cake pan.
- Sift the spelt flour, ground millet flour, baking powder, and salt together and set aside.
- In a dry mixer bowl with dry beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff, about 2 minutes. Transfer the beaten egg whites to a clean bowl and set aside.
- In the same mixer bowl, add the sugar, honey, water, oil, egg yolks, and vanilla and beat for 1 minute. Add the flour mixture and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes. Fold in half of the beaten egg whites; once the first half is fully incorporated, fold in the second half.
- Pour the batter into the prepared molds, filling them 2/3 of the way full. Bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking. Cool the cakes in the pan for at least 20 minutes, then remove to a wire rack and cool completely before filling with the Snack Cake Crème.
- To fill the cakes, use a skewer or chopstick to poke 2 holes partially through the snack cake from the bottom, and wiggle around to hollow out some space. Use a piping bag fitted with a Bismarck (#230) tip or a very small star-shaped tip to fill the cake with the Snack Cake Crème.
- To make raspberry snack cakes, make the snack cakes as directed. Coat each filled snack cake with raspberry jam and dust with shredded coconut. They will be sticky and delicious.
- Or for Chocolate-Coated Snack Cakes, try dipping your snack cakes in melted chocolate.
Estimated Nutrient Breakdown:
Total Fat: 42.82g
Saturated Fat: 7.01g
Monounsaturated Fat: 10.33g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 23.05g
Vit A: 205.23
Vit B1: 1.07
Vit B2: 1.35
Vit B3: 7.54
Vit B6: 0.25
Vit B12: 1.15
Vit D: 117.43
Vit E: 117.43
Vit K1: 2.67
Health Notes: Vegetarian,Peanut-Free,Tree-Nut-Free,Alcohol-Free,
Notes: I adore plug-ins, because they are elegant.
Tags: Wild Food Box,Vanilla,Snack