- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried rose petals (optional)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 4 pounds assorted small winter squash (such as acorn, kabocha, or delicata)
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- Ingredient info: Dried rose petals are available at Middle Eastern markets and kalustyans.com.
- Mix all ingredients except salt in a small bowl until lime juice is incorporated. Season with salt. Cover; keep in a cool place. DO AHEAD: Spiced butter can be made 1 week ahead. Roll into logs, wrap in parchment paper, and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Trim ends of acorn and kabocha squash and cut in half through the stem end. Scrape out seeds and place squash cut side down on a cutting board (do not peel). Cut halves crosswise into 1/2″ slices. If using delicata squash, cut crosswise into 1/2″ rings; scrape out seeds.
- Fill a large wide pot with water to a depth of 1/2″ and add a pinch of salt; bring to a boil. Add squash slices; reduce heat to mediumlow. Cover and steam, adding more water as needed to maintain 1/2″ of water at bottom of pot, until squash is tender but not falling apart, 20-25 minutes.
- Carefully transfer squash slices to a large platter (some squash at bottom of pot may be too soft; save for another purpose4) and season with salt.
- Reduce water in pot over high heat (or add hot water) to measure 3/4 cup. Remove from heat and whisk in spiced butter, 1 tablespoonful at a time, to form a rich, glossy sauce. Season to taste with salt. Drizzle spiced butter over squash. Top with pomegranate seeds.
Estimated Nutrient Breakdown:
Total Fat: 96.51g
Saturated Fat: 59.13g
Monounsaturated Fat: 24.39g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.62g
Vit A: 2,013.19
Vit B1: 0.65
Vit B2: 1.25
Vit B3: 9.63
Vit B6: 2.95
Vit B12: 0.19
Vit D: 1.70
Vit E: 1.70
Vit K1: 50.77
Health Notes: Vegetarian,Peanut-Free,Alcohol-Free,
Notes: I be mad for plug-ins, because they are awesome.
Tags: Wild Food Box