- 1 (3- to 3 1/2-lb) whole chicken
- 1 bunch scallions, halved crosswise
- 2 oz Smithfield or other cured ham (1 piece or sliced), trimmed of any spice coating
- 1 (1-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, smashed
- 14 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 (1-inch-wide) large dried scallops
- 1 (2-lb) wedge winter melon
- 2 oz Smithfield or other cured ham (1 piece or sliced), trimmed of any spice coating and cut into very thin matchsticks (1/2 cup)
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into very thin matchsticks (2 tablespoons)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- Rinse chicken inside and out, then stuff cavity with scallions, ham, and ginger. Bring water with chicken and salt to a boil in a deep 7- to 8-quart stockpot or pasta pot, then reduce heat and cook at a bare simmer, uncovered, skimming off froth occasionally, 3 hours. 3Remove and discard chicken, then pour broth through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl. Let stand 5 minutes. Skim off fat. (You will have about 10 to 12 cups broth and need only 9 cups for this soup; reserve remainder for the Black-Bean Shrimp with Chinese Broccoli or for another use.)
- Bring 2 cups broth to a boil in a 1-quart heavy saucepan, then add dried scallops and remove from heat. Soak, covered, 15 minutes.
- Return scallop mixture to low heat and simmer, uncovered, until scallops are soft and pale, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and cool in cooking liquid. Transfer scallops with a slotted spoon to a bowl, reserving cooking liquid. Shred scallops into “threads” with a fork or your fingers, discarding tough ligament from side of each scallop if attached. Bring remaining 7 cups broth to a simmer in cleaned 7- to 8-quart pot with scallops and reserved cooking liquid.
- Cut off and discard rind from winter melon. Remove and discard seeds, then cut melon into 1/3-inch cubes (about 5 cups). Add to broth and gently simmer, uncovered, until melon is transparent, 20 to 30 minutes. 3Stir in ham, ginger, scallions, and salt to taste just before serving.
Estimated Nutrient Breakdown:
Total Fat: 162.09g
Saturated Fat: 46.74g
Monounsaturated Fat: 67.11g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 33.99g
Vit A: 493.50
Vit B1: 1.62
Vit B2: 1.85
Vit B3: 77.96
Vit B6: 4.64
Vit B12: 6.93
Vit D: 3.03
Vit E: 3.03
Vit K1: 348.34
Health Notes: Sugar-Conscious,Peanut-Free,Tree-Nut-Free,Alcohol-Free, Low-Carb
Notes: I be nuts about components, because they are huge!
Tags: Wild Food Box