- 400 g (14 oz) dried green peas
- 2l water
- 2 tbsp salt
- 250 g (9 oz) smoked bacon (on one piece)
- 500 g (18 oz) pork trotter or ribs
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- ½ celeriac, cubed
- 2 leeks, sliced in rings
- 4 tbsp celery, chopped (or use green of celeriac)
- 1 dutch smoked sausage
- Rye bread
- Rinse peas, remove bad ones and soak in 2L water with salt for 12 hours.
- Bring the peas with the soaking water to the boil and simmer for about 2 hours until tender and cooked. Add the bacon and pork trotter after 1 hour.
- After the 2 hours, take out the meat and pour of the cooking liquid. Use a masher to mash the peas, I prefer them fine but you can also leave some chunks.
- Pour the cooking liquid back and put the meat back in. Also add in the potatoes, celeriac, leeks and celery.
- Season with salt and pepper, and add some more water if the soup is too thick.
- While stirring, bring soup back to a simmer and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile heat the smoked sausage (follow instructions on packaging) and slice.
- Take out the bacon and slice. The sausage and bacon can be served on the side, or can be put back in the soup.
- Take out the pork trotter, serve on the side, or slice off the meat and put back in the soup.
- If preparing in advance: refrigerate everything and prepare smoked sausage when serving.
- Serve in big bowls with slices of rye bread, that can be topped with the bacon or the sausage, and some mustard.
Estimated Nutrient Breakdown:
Total Fat: 173.52g
Saturated Fat: 53.82g
Monounsaturated Fat: 79.09g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 24.66g
Vit A: 346.71
Vit B1: 2.55
Vit B2: 1.61
Vit B3: 31.72
Vit B6: 3.55
Vit B12: 4.08
Vit D: 1.35
Vit E: 1.35
Vit K1: 251.81
Health Notes: Peanut-Free,Tree-Nut-Free,Alcohol-Free,
Notes: These recipes are awesome.
Author: Honest Cooking
Tags: Wild Food Box