- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 5 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, halved and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips (about 1 cup)
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- 12 ounces chicory, leaves stripped from center ribs (save ribs for soup) and leaves torn into bite-size pieces (about 12 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, trimmed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Y-shaped vegetable peeler
- Heat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
- Roast hazelnuts on a baking sheet in oven until fragrant and pale golden inside (cut one open to test), 8 to 10 minutes (keep oven on). Wrap hot nuts in a towel and rub together to remove any loose skins. Halve nuts.
- While nuts are roasting, cook pancetta in a 9- to 10-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Increase oven to 425°F with rack in middle. Lightly oil baking sheet.
- Halve squash lengthwise and seed. Use vegetable peeler to peel squash into long thin ribbons into a large bowl. Toss squash with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl until coated. Spread ribbons evenly on a 13- by 9-inch baking sheet, or arrange ribbons into a 13- by 9-inch rectangle on a larger baking sheet. Bake until tender, 15 to 20 minutes, then turn on broiler and broil until lightly browned, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Bring cider to a boil in a small saucepan, then boil until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 5 minutes. Whisk reduced cider with cider vinegar, shallot, Dijon mustard, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Add 1/2 cup oil in a slow stream, whisking, and whisk until emulsified.
- Toss arugula and chicory in a very large bowl with about 1/2 cup vinaigrette (there will be some left over). Then toss in pancetta and hazelnuts.
- Cut squash into 8 rectangles and carefully transfer each with a metal spatula to a plate. Divide salad among plates and drizzle a little of remaining vinaigrette on squash.
Estimated Nutrient Breakdown:
Total Fat: 235.76g
Saturated Fat: 41.17g
Monounsaturated Fat: 154.45g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 30.12g
Vit A: 4,779.57
Vit B1: 1.86
Vit B2: 0.85
Vit B3: 17.56
Vit B6: 2.40
Vit B12: 0.71
Vit D: 0.57
Vit E: 0.57
Vit K1: 1,274.09
Health Notes: ,
Notes: I adore add-ons, because they are adorable!!
Tags: Wild Food Box