- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup ground ginger
- 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (all pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- 2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, and cinnamon.
- 3. With clean hands, work the butter into the dry mixture until it is thoroughly incorporated and has the consistency of fine breadcrumbs.
- 4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour the buttermilk, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract into the well. Still using your hands, combine the ingredients until all the dry mixture is wet, but do not knead!
- 5. Turn the mixture onto a floured surface and gather the dough together. Gently pat the dough to make a disk about 1 1/2 inches thick. using a 3-or 3 1/2- inch biscuit cutter, cut out as many scones as you can and lay them on a nonstick baking sheet. Gather the remaining dough together lightly to cut out more scones—just don't knead the dough too much.
- 6. Bake the scones for about 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let the scones cool slightly on the baking sheet (about 20 minutes) before glazing them.
- 7. While the scones are cooling, prepare the caramel glaze: Place the butter, brown sugar, lemon juice, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat and whisk gently until the mixture is smooth. Just as the mixture comes to a light boil, add the heavy cream and reduce the heat to low. Whisk well for 2 minutes, or until the glaze is thickened and smooth; then remove the pan from the heat.
- 8. To glaze a scone, hold it by the bottom, dip the top in the warm caramel glaze, and place it back on the baking sheet.
Estimated Nutrient Breakdown:
Total Fat: 374.59g
Saturated Fat: 234.74g
Monounsaturated Fat: 97.60g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 15.63g
Vit A: 5,160.35
Vit B1: 3.17
Vit B2: 2.81
Vit B3: 26.20
Vit B6: 0.73
Vit B12: 1.56
Vit D: 6.79
Vit E: 6.79
Vit K1: 82.15
Health Notes: Vegetarian,Peanut-Free,Tree-Nut-Free,Alcohol-Free,
Notes: My helpful sister says this recipe is glamorous.
Tags: Wild Food Box