- about 4 tablespoons of olive oil, plus a little more for serving
- 2 mild italian chicken sausage links, casings removed
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- white onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large white turnip, diced (about 1 cup)
- ½ a butternut squash, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 quart of vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can of cannellini beans, drained
- 1 bunch swiss chard or kale, stalks removed and roughly torn
- In a medium sized dutch oven, or any heavy bottomed soup or stock pot, heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high heat. When it’s hot, add the sausage, breaking it up with your spoon as it browns.
- Add in the fennel seeds, chili flakes and a pinch of salt. When the sausage is nicely browned and fully cooked, remove it from the pot with a slotted spoon, leaving whatever oil is left in the pan. Set the sausage aside in a bowl.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onions, garlic and salt to the pot, scraping up all the brown bits from the sausage. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Let this cook, and almost caramelize for about 10 minutes.
- Add in the carrot, celery, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf. Let these vegetables and herbs cook for another 10 minutes or so. Now add the turnip and squash along with the quart of stock and can of tomatoes. Cover the pot and let this simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour, just until the turnips and squash have softened.
- 5. After about 45 minutes has passed add the sausage, beans, and greens to the pot, let this simmer uncovered for another 20 minutes, just until all the flavors have melded.
- 6. When ready to serve, finish with flaky salt, fresh pepper, and a healthy glug of good olive oil.
Estimated Nutrient Breakdown:
Total Fat: 84.18g
Saturated Fat: 14.77g
Monounsaturated Fat: 50.91g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 12.87g
Vit A: 3,155.83
Vit B1: 3.71
Vit B2: 2.04
Vit B3: 28.27
Vit B6: 2.77
Vit B12: 0.49
Vit D: 0.45
Vit E: 0.45
Vit K1: 3,860.18
Health Notes: Peanut-Free,Tree-Nut-Free,Alcohol-Free,
Notes: I love add-ons, because they are unbelievable!!
Tags: Wild Food Box