- * 2 kg (4.4 lb) cleaned elderberry, stalk removed
- * juice and zest of 2 unwaxed lemon
- * 500 ml (2 cup) water
- Place the elderberries and lemon zest in a preserving pan with the water and gently simmer for 35 to 45 minutes until soft. Mash well and remove from the heat.
- Attach the jelly bag to its stand and place over a large bowl.
- Pour the contents of your preserving pan into the jelly bag and leave to strain for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Measure the strained juice and weigh 450 g (1 lb) of jam sugar to 600 ml (2¼ cups) of juice.
- Pour the strained juice into a preserving pan and bring to a simmer before removing from the heat. Add the weighed out jam sugar and stir.
- Return to a low heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, then stir in the lemon juice.
- If using a jam thermometer, attach it to the side of your pan.
- Bring the jelly to a rolling boil and boil until setting point is reached; this is likely to be about 5 minutes of boiling. If using a jam thermometer, 104 C or 220 F indicates the setting point. To check the jelly without a thermometer, drop a small amount of jelly on to your chilled saucer, allow to cool for a couple of minutes and then push gently with your finger tip. If the jelly crinkles, setting point has been reached.
- Remove from the heat and leave to settle for 5 minutes before skimming the jelly of any scum.
- Add 4 tablespoons of port for every 900 ml of juice used and gently stir in.
- Transfer to sterilised jars, screw on lids and leave to cool.
- Store in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight and once opened store in the fridge.
Estimated Nutrient Breakdown:
Total Fat: 10.35g
Saturated Fat: 0.51g
Monounsaturated Fat: 1.61g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 5.04g
Vit A: 601.16
Vit B1: 1.45
Vit B2: 1.22
Vit B3: 10.12
Vit B6: 4.69
Vit B12: 0.00
Vit D: 0.00
Vit E: 0.00
Vit K1: 0.00
Health Notes: Sugar-Conscious,Vegan,Vegetarian,Peanut-Free,Tree-Nut-Free,Alcohol-Free, Low-Fat
Notes: My grandpa says this recipe is huge.
Tags: Wild Food Box,,Low-Fat