- * 200 g (1 1/2 cup) plain flour
- * a pinch of salt
- * 100 g (3 1/2 oz) chilled butter,
- * 4 tablespoon icing sugar
- * 1 egg yolk (freeze the white for later)
- * approximately 2 tablespoon water
- * 2 egg
- * 115 g (4 oz) caster sugar plus 2 tablespoon for sprinkling
- * 175 ml (3/4 cup) double cream
- * 50 g (2 oz) plain flour
- * 2 tablespoon creme de cassi
- * 500 g (1 lb) cleaned ripe elderberry with stalk removed
- you will need:
- * 1 x ( ) flan tart tin
- Sift flour and salt into the mixing bowl of the stand mixer. Add cubes of butter and mix on slow with a paddle attachment until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the icing sugar and briefly mix.
- Briefly whisk egg yolk and water in a small bowl before adding to the pastry mix. Mix on slow until the pastry forms. This shouldn’t take long at all, less than a minute – you don’t want to overwork the pastry.
- Wrap the pastry in cling film and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes until firm but not hard.
- Grease 1 x 23 cm ( 9 inch ) loose bottomed flan tin.
- Roll out your pastry to about the thickness of a £1 coin ( ⅛ inch ) making sure the pastry circle is large enough for the diameter of your flan tin plus twice its depth.
- Carefully line your tin with your pastry.
- Pop in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200℃ / 400℉ / Gas Mark 6.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, plain flour and creme de cassis until smooth.
- Place the elderberries in the pastry case and pour over the creamy filling.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of caster sugar before placing in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes until baked.
Estimated Nutrient Breakdown:
Total Fat: 163.16g
Saturated Fat: 96.50g
Monounsaturated Fat: 45.22g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 9.98g
Vit A: 1,747.67
Vit B1: 0.75
Vit B2: 1.10
Vit B3: 5.85
Vit B6: 1.50
Vit B12: 1.52
Vit D: 207.49
Vit E: 207.49
Vit K1: 13.75
Health Notes: Vegetarian,Peanut-Free,Tree-Nut-Free,
Notes: I be mad for addons, because they are helpful!!
Tags: Wild Food Box,Elderberry