- 1/3 cup dried shredded organic unsweetened coconut
- About 1 pound organic farm-fresh carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch Lengths (3 cups)
- 1 cup chopped organic pineapple
- 1 1/2 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups organic cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/4 teaspoons organic ground cinnamon
- Pinch of freshly grated organic nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark-brown sugar
- 3/4 cup organic canola oil
- 1 tablespoon organic vanilla extract
- 3 organic eggs
- Cream Cheese-Lemon Zest Frosting
- 3/4 cup chopped toasted organic walnuts
- 1/2 cup organic golden raisins, plumped in warm water for 20 minutes and drained
- 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh organic ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 8-inch round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper (to ensure that the cake will not stick), or place liners in 2 muffin pans for 24 cupcakes. Set aside.
- Place the dried coconut in a cup of warm water to soften and set it aside for 15 minutes.
- Place the carrots in a food processor and pulse on and off for 1 minute. Then add the pineapple and pulse until the carrots are cut into very small pieces and the pineapple is pureed, 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Add the brown sugar and use a whisk to break up any lumps.
- Drain the coconut and place it in a medium bowl. Add the oil, vanilla extract, eggs, and carrot-pineapple mixture, and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry, mixing with a rubber spatula to incorporate but not overmix. When the batter is almost mixed, stir in the additions, if using. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 55 minutes, or until the tops are a very golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. (It may look as if the cake is too well done, but it takes a while to bake because it's so dense.) For cupcakes, the baking time is 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Then invert them onto a wire rack and let them cool completely.
- Fill and frost the cake with the Cream Cheese-Lemon Zest Frosting (for added oomph, add 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger to the frosting).
- Fill and frost the cake with cream cheese frosting and let chill. Tint 1/2 cup frosting lemon yellow, and use the 10 tip to pipe 5 dots in a circle to create simple buttercup flowers. Then combine any remaining yellow frosting with some additional cream cheese frosting and tint it leaf green. I use tip #67, which pipes small fern stems. Pipe the center stamen with cream cheese frosting and chill to set.
Estimated Nutrient Breakdown:
Total Fat: 256.05g
Saturated Fat: 38.57g
Monounsaturated Fat: 117.25g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 92.25g
Vit A: 4,000.61
Vit B1: 2.46
Vit B2: 2.31
Vit B3: 21.86
Vit B6: 2.06
Vit B12: 1.15
Vit D: 105.78
Vit E: 105.78
Vit K1: 186.50
Health Notes: Peanut-Free,Alcohol-Free,
Notes: My helpful grandpa says this recipe is glamorous!!
Tags: Wild Food Box,Carrot,Cream