- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons water, preferably spring water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 pints (about 1 1/2 pounds or 6 cups) fresh-picked strawberries, preferably organic, rinsed, patted dry, and hulled
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large egg white, preferably farm-fresh (optional)
- Make the simple syrup: In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, water, and salt. Cook, stirring, until the sugar and salt have dissolved, about 3 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- In a blender, purée the strawberries with the syrup and lemon juice until very smooth (you may need to divide this into several batches if your blender is not extra-large). If desired, strain through a fine-mesh sieve for a smoother texture. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. Add the egg white, if using, during the last 2 to 3 minutes of churning. If making the ice cream cake , immediately pack into the pan. Or store, tightly covered, in the freezer.
- Cut 7 passion fruits in half and scoop the pulp and seeds into a blender. Blend for 20 seconds, then pass through a fine-mesh strainer into a small bowl, pushing on the solids with back of a wooden spoon. Measure out 6 tablespoons of this purée and combine with the strawberries, syrup, and lemon juice in a blender as directed above.
Estimated Nutrient Breakdown:
Total Fat: 3.31g
Saturated Fat: 0.18g
Monounsaturated Fat: 0.46g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.67g
Vit A: 10.71
Vit B1: 0.27
Vit B2: 0.27
Vit B3: 4.17
Vit B6: 0.52
Vit B12: 0.00
Vit D: 0.00
Vit E: 0.00
Vit K1: 23.56
Health Notes: Vegetarian,Peanut-Free,Tree-Nut-Free,Alcohol-Free, Low-Fat
Notes: These recipes are interesting!!
Tags: Wild Food Box,,Low-Fat