- 85 grams (7 tablespoons) sugar
- 85 grams (6 tablespoons) chilled butter (i use semi-salted; add a pinch of salt if you use unsalted)
- 170 grams (6 ounces, about 1 1/3 cups) flour
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cold milk
- 500 grams (2 1/2 cups) saskatoon berries, fresh or frozen (substitute blueberries, blackberries, or a mix thereof, with an optional handful of fresh blackcurrants)
- 25 grams (1/4 cup) almond meal (almonds ground to a fine powder)
- 25 grams (2 tablespoons) sugar (i used maple sugar)
- 1 egg
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) whipping cream or double cream (crème fraîche liquide in french)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F) and lightly grease a shallow 28-cm (11-inch) tart pan, preferably one with a removable bottom.
- Prepare the crust. Place the 85 grams sugar and butter in the bowl of a food processor and process until fluffy.
- Add in the flour and mix briefly, just until the dough forms coarse crumbs.
- Add the vinegar and milk and process in a few short pulses just to incorporate: the mixture will not come together into a ball and will remain crumb-like, but it should clump if you pinch it with your fingers. Add a drop more milk if it's not the case. The mixture will also smell alarmingly vinegary; rest assured this will disappear completely in the baking.
- Pour the mixture into the tart pan and spread it evenly to cover the surface of the pan. Pat it down to pack it gently, creating a low rim all around. Don't worry too much about the shape or evenness of it; it's more important not to overwork the dough.
- Put in the oven to blind-bake for 15 minutes, until the crust is set and very lightly golden around the edges.
- In the meantime, toss the berries (no need to thaw if frozen) with the 25 grams sugar and the almond flour.
- Remove the pan from the oven, pour the berry mixture evenly into the tart shell, leaving a small margin all around, and return to the oven for 15 minutes (18 minutes if the berries were frozen).
- Remove the pan from the oven. Whisk the egg and cream together in a small bowl and pour evenly over the berries. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack and let cool completely before serving.
Estimated Nutrient Breakdown:
Total Fat: 159.41g
Saturated Fat: 67.54g
Monounsaturated Fat: 30.22g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 24.17g
Vit A: 935.59
Vit B1: 6.16
Vit B2: 4.34
Vit B3: 63.33
Vit B6: 2.35
Vit B12: 0.70
Vit D: 110.23
Vit E: 110.23
Vit K1: 108.52
Health Notes: Vegetarian,Peanut-Free,Alcohol-Free, Low-Fat
Notes: My magnificent mom says this recipe is beautiful!
Author: Chocolate & Zucchini
Tags: Wild Food Box,,Low-Fat