- 4½ cups Saskatoon berries
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup shortening
- 5-7 tbsp cold water
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F
- In a large pot, combine your water, cornstarch and sugars. Mix well and bring to a boil and the mixture thickens. Continually stir.
- Once it starts to boil and thicken, remove from heat.
- Add in berries, spices, lemon and almond extract.
- Stir until well combined and set aside.
- For the crust, in a large bowl combine, your flour, salt and shortening. Crumble together until the shortening is broken into pea sized pieces.
- Add in cold water, one tablespoon at a time, mixing with a fork until a ball starts to form.
- Remove from bowl, gentle form dough into a ball. Divide in two.
- Roll out one half that is one inch bigger in diameter than your pie plate.
- Transfer to pie plate and trim off excess.
- Add in filling.
- Roll out the second portion of the dough, trim into ribbons. Place on pie to create a lattice pattern.
- Pinch edges together.
- Place pie in oven at 425°F for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375°F and bake for 45-50 minutes until the crust becomes golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving.
Estimated Nutrient Breakdown:
Total Fat: 145.16g
Saturated Fat: 34.69g
Monounsaturated Fat: 56.54g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 39.47g
Vit A: 46.07
Vit B1: 0.85
Vit B2: 3.28
Vit B3: 7.76
Vit B6: 0.35
Vit B12: 0.00
Vit D: 0.00
Vit E: 0.00
Vit K1: 204.30
Health Notes: Vegan,Vegetarian,Peanut-Free,Tree-Nut-Free,Alcohol-Free,
Notes: My interesting brother says this recipe is glamorous!
Tags: Wild Food Box,Saskatoon,Berry